The TEN COMMANDMENTS FOR PROMO TAPES by Zip Whittle
(closely adapted from an 2004 article by NWA Wildside President Bill Behrens)
I/ Thou shall rewind thy tape and mail securely using “Media Mail”.
II/ Thou shall identify thyself clearly and thy contact information (email & phone number) shall be up-to-date and valid. Thy phone number wilts have an answering machine or voicemail.
III/ Thy gear shall be real ring gear (not jeans & t-shirt).
IV/ Thy tape wilt not start with a promo and shall not include hardcore matches.
V/ Thou shall include one good, recent match that is well-taped.
VI/ Thy tape shall showcase thine ability to bump and sell as well as high spots and offense.
VII/ Thou shall realize that matches with established stars art a double-edged sword. Canst thine viewer know if you were being carried through the match?
VIII/ Thou shall not burn thine bridges with promoters, nay even if they be dullards! Thy mouth’s reputation wilt precedes thee.
IX/ Bewared thee of claiming recommendations from wrestlers unless they truly believeth thou art good (and not just being nice or ribbing thee)!
X/ Includeth a brief lineage of deeds (bio) and recent photograph of thee with thine package!
• Get a passport.
• Always bring your gear in your car. Keep it clean.
• Be respectful. Introduce yourself to everyone in the locker room.
• Don’t promote yourself on message boards. Start a website.
• Your ring name shouldn’t be based on a current wrestling star.
• Recent matches are more important than long matches. A promo tape with old matches implies that you haven’t done anything worthwhile recently.
• A highlight tape is fine if it’s more than just one spot repeated! Be sure to include a complete match though to prove you can do more than just high spots!
Also, view the SHOW NOTES from 12-23-05 show!